Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (countable) An illustration or artwork done with the use of paint.
- The Mona Lisa is one of the most famous paintings.
- 1907, Robert W[illiam] Chambers, chapter VIII, in The Younger Set, New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, OCLC 24962326:
- "My tastes," he said, still smiling, "incline me to the garishly sunlit side of this planet." And, to tease her and arouse her to combat: "I prefer a farandole to a nocturne; I'd rather have a painting than an etching; Mr. Whistler bores me with his monochromatic mud; I don't like dull colours, dull sounds, dull intellects; […]."
- (uncountable) The action of applying paint to a surface.
- The outside of the old house would benefit from some painting.
- (uncountable) The same activity as an art form.
- Some artists, like Michelangelo, excel in both painting and sculpture.
The same activity as an art form
an illustration or artwork using paint
the action of applying paint
artistic application of paint
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.