Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Illustration
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act of illustrating; the act of making clear and distinct; education; also, the state of being illustrated, or of being made clear and distinct.
- That which illustrates; a comparison or example intended to make clear or apprehensible, or to remove obscurity.
2012 June 19, Phil McNulty, “England 1-0 Ukraine”, in BBC Sport:
- England will regard it as a measure of justice for Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany in Bloemfontein at the 2010 World Cup - but it was also an illustration of how they rode their luck for long periods in front of a predictably partisan home crowd.
- A picture designed to decorate a volume or elucidate a literary work.
- A calculated prevision of insurance premiums and returns (life insurance)
act of illustrating
that which illustrates
picture designed to decorate
illustration f (plural illustrations)