Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Is it also homophone when it's almost the same sound? Or is there a special term for that? - Polyglot 2003.05.18

  • IMHO two words can only be called homophones if they sound the same or at least almost the same way, but it's not the case. The "th" in "three" should be pronounced like "þ" (the letter called thorn present in Icelandic and in some old European languages), which is a bit different from the usual "t" sound. hybrid-2k 2003.10.23


Isn't this word pronounced more as /tʃɹiː/? I have never in my life heard anyone -- American, English, Australian, Scotish, Irish, or African -- use the pronunciation /tɹiː/ 13:40, 12 April 2007 (UTC)

Here in Texas, where we speak a rather conservative English, I say /tɹiː/. The pronunciation /tʃɹiː/ would be easily understood, but I haven’t noticed that anyone actually uses it. —Stephen 01:05, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
Wikipedia says it is a voiceless postalveolar (or more rarely alveolar) NON-sibilant affricate based on Gimson (2014), pp. 177, 186–188 and 192. if this is true, shouldn't it be written as [t̠͡ɹ̠̊˔ʷiː] and [t͡ɹ̝̊ʷiː]. Jackpaulryan (talk) 23:43, 11 September 2017 (UTC)


If tree can be used as a verb like this, wouldn't the dog be the treeer and the cat the treeee? Teh Rote 20:13, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

Yes, but I believe people would probably spell them tree-er and tree-ee. I don’t think three or more letters in a row would be acceptable. —Stephen 20:17, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
Really? What about goddessship, headmistressship, agreeeth, wallless, and aaa that I read about on Wikipedia? Meh, I guess that's English for you. Teh Rote 20:26, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
That’s probably British English. In American English, we write headmistress-ship, wall-less, etc. —Stephen 20:32, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
I have never heard that, despite being an American. Thanks for the info. Teh Rote 20:38, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
Yes, that’s how they are listed in the Random House Dictionary. —Stephen 20:51, 3 May 2008 (UTC)