- (Britain) An assistant to a Toby on a street market.
- 1994, George Evans, Shropshire's Wonderful Markets, →ISBN, page 85:
- He has a 'Toby mush' or assistant who collects tolls for the Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough (District) Council who control the general market, also called the pannier market, which I understand is a profitable business.
- 2010, Howard Jacobson, The Mighty Walzer, →ISBN, page 82:
- According to market mythology, the Toby Mush who went from stall to stall in policemen's boots, with a clinking leather rent-collector's bag on his shoulder, deciding who who got to stand where at Stockport, was afflicted with a blind eye and a bent right arm, so many backhanders did he take possession of on market days.