Hello, and welcome to Wiktionary. Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- Wiktionary Tutorial
- How to edit a page
- How to start a page
- Our layout policy (nicknamed "ELE")
- Criteria for inclusion (nicknamed "CFI")
- Wiktionary Sandbox (a safe place for testing syntax)
- What Wiktionary is not
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! By the way, you can sign your name on Talk (discussion) and vote pages using four tildes, like this: ~~~~, which automatically produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to one of the discussion rooms or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! --EncycloPetey 20:39, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
I'm very sorry
This is the first time I ever made a word. Sorry for making a mistake right here. I hope you don't hate me.
- No, not at all :) It's always good to have more people - so don't be too easily scared off! One thing that does need doing is adding example sentences under definitions. The way you do this is (when looking at the page) you see
# One definition of the word balloon here # Another definition of balloon
You then add example sentence lines between them, they always start with
#:'' and end with
''. You also highlight the word balloon in bold (using three 's on each side)
'''balloon'''. This means you get
# One definition of balloon here #:'''The boy lost his '''balloon''' in a tree.'' # Another definition of balloon #:'''The '''balloon''' took us above the fairground .''
Do you want to have a go at adding sentences to balloon? There is some more information at Help:Example sentences, and if you want to try something a bit simpler, there is the Simple English Wiktionary. Yours Conrad.Irwin 21:10, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
I wanted to add more words and definitions,but you're right. The same thing is not desirable,but still great for me and maybe others. What can I do if I can't duplicate the same definition if it's only going to be erased completely?
I finished it. :) Oh and I want to say that I want to apologize to EncyloPetey for unexpectedly adding the same definitions. I wanted to make Wiktionary a better dictionary for ALL users to look at.
Excuse me. I want to make a criteria of super and ginormous. How do I make a criteria?
- Criteria?--TBC 21:59, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
Regarding your recent edits, I recommend visiting the Wiktionary Sandbox to test out your Wiki sytax. Also, always remember to use the preview button, for an overview of how your edits will look on screen. :) --TBC 21:59, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
What does this word mean then? I tried to look for it in a dictionary,but to no avail.
Okay then. Will any of you please add this word to the Wiktionary? That will greatly sastify me and the others and understand what it really means.
Just look it up on Google News or Google Books, you should be able to tell from the context. The phrase actually has two senses. One which, as Conrad said, means "something that literally consumes, devours, or uses up everything" (as in, an all-consuming fire), and another which refers to "being totally engrossing, using up all of one's time and energy" (as in, an all-consuming opportunity or task).--TBC 23:22, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
Thank you too,UTC.
- You can add sense 2 to all-consuming then :). If we are going to be doing so much chatting, do you two want to join the IRC channel? Conrad.Irwin 23:24, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
I don't know. :( I may have unexpectedly ticked off most of its users to permanently banning me from existence from editing.
- Heh, I frequent the Wikipedia IRC channel, but I didn't know that the Wiktionary IRC channel was active. And to Dekoshu, download mIRC (or any other IRC program) to access the IRC channel. There's a bunch of good tutorials that you can find with Google.--TBC 23:28, 29 July 2008 (UTC)
Please be careful, when updating stentorian you removed a quote from the page when you added a definition. Secondly, do not remove comments from your talk page until they are old, doing so will get you blocked. Conrad.Irwin 01:22, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
Sorry. I forgot to keep the quote in stentorian. I REALLY don't want to get blocked. :(
Well you really did tell me to change the definition(s) so I can make it much clearer for others. What is the meaning of this?! :( I understand the situation,but I copied the whole thing of stentorian into my wordpad. I'm starting to have quite a feeling you don't like me and I'm afraid of you.
- It's not that I don't like you, it's just that (at the moment) I'm having to do a lot of cleaning up behind you. Feel free to edit, but go slowly and try using the "Show Preview" button before you save to check for any mistakes you might make. 01:43, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
Per your message
Sorry, but, not being an administrator, I can't really help. I can, however, tell you to stop removing content from your talk page. It is getting quite irksome to have to readd the discussions and I'd rather not have to.
Regarding the block on your IP, I suspect it was partially for the reason I just mentioned. If you just try harder to conform to our practices here, that'll be avoided in the forseeable future. Teh Rote 23:31, 14 October 2008 (UTC)
But I want to. Can SemperBlotto do it? And stop undoing my removed content. You didn't have to undo it ya know. It would be better that way. Is it because nobody wants to be ignorant about it? I would rather see all of my talk pages completely removed than annoyingly having it reverted to normal (so annoying). Semperblotto is so inconsiderate. Dekoshu 23:57, 14 October 2008 (UTC) Ask me a real reason what is it so important not to. This is so frustrating. What's the point if I or anyone else can't really remove contents? IT was unnecessary for you or anyone else to do so.
Tell me the real truth. If you're not going to be considerate to me like the others, then I never want to read what you commented to me, or any other way to communicate with me again. Same for SemperBlotto.Dekoshu 00:09, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
Dekoshu 00:09, 15 October 2008 (UTC) If you or anyone else is to talk to me, don't. Do you guys honestly even help me?
- The thing is, we have very rigid policies here. When you break them, your breaking gets undone. What we try to do the first hundred times is assume you're trying to help. Eventually, when someone breaks policies too often, they get blocked. You need to assume they're trying to help, just as they assume you're trying to help.
- Regarding the removed content, I readded the messages because they need to stay. When you remove content from your page, that is breaking our policies. The discussions must remain as a courtesy to other editors so that they can gather information from the chats people have. Keep them, or you will almost certainly be blocked again. Teh Rote 00:11, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
What do I say!?! Fine. I'll stop, but I don't want to hear arrogant jerks like SemperBlotto talking smack about me or the other users after I stop editing the contents, but make sure they don't take me in a negative manner or any other bad reaction. You're not even sorry. I will be sorry, because only I can control myself. Do you think you know everything? Because I don't believe so, and I don't have to assume. You see? You're not even paying attention to the whole thing I'm saying to you. Because real life is more serious and everyone is more involved. You can block me whatever you like, but you're no better than the jerks like the others met.Dekoshu 00:25, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
- The whole thing you're saying to me is that you're confused about how we do things here and you're getting kinda POed over it. No, I don't know everything, and that's a pretty childish insinuation. In addition, I can't block you anywho, as I'm not an admin. Teh Rote 00:26, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
Dekoshu 00:38, 15 October 2008 (UTC) You know what? Do not try to message me anytime or everytime anymore, okay? No yes or no. Just don't speak to me or message and everybody don't mention about me. I rather have users to considerately leave me alone than to patronize me and everyone else. I understand what I read from you, Teh Rote. (Continuing) I am here to say I'm sorry for breaking the policies, and I hope it won't happen again. I am also sorry if I'm confused of what do all of you guys do here. I am also sorry to all of you guys. I'll do my best to make this a better place. Just don't bother messaging me anymore at all, okay? Happy Halloween to everyone!!!!! Dekoshu 02:15, 15 October 2008 (UTC) PS: I won't respond to anymore new messages anymore today or any other date, because everyone has better things to do.