From the name of the Watergate Hotel; the complex itself was named after the "Water Gate" area where symphony orchestra concerts were staged on the Potomac River between 1935 and 1965.
- A US political scandal (beginning with a burglary in the Watergate Hotel in Washington, DC in 1972) that eventually led to the resignation of US President Richard Nixon.
- Mandarin: please add this translation if you can
- Finnish: Watergate, Watergate-skandaali
- Hindi: वॉटरगेट m (vŏṭargeṭ)
- Portuguese: please add this translation if you can
- Russian: please add this translation if you can
- Spanish: please add this translation if you can
- ^ John Kelly (13 December 2004), “Answer Man: A Gate to Summers Past”, in The Washington Post, archived from the original on 18 September 2009, retrieved 18 September 2009