Wiktionary:Requested entries (Polish)
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
- Check the Wiktionary:Criteria for inclusion if you are unsure if it belongs in the dictionary.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- If you know what a word means, consider creating the entry yourself instead of using this request page.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc.) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc.) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- babówka -- This is actually a Silesian vocable and signifies a kind of cake made from yeast. --Strabismus (talk) 08:43, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- baldachim It's a masculine noun that means baldachin and canopy as two different senses, I think.
- Please conjugate biegnąć
- The infinitive is biec, not "biegnąć".
- bezlotek - "penguin"
- chełpić — "chełpić się" means "to brag", "to proud oneself with sth"
- czerwonak — flamingo
- czwórniak — a kind of mead made with diluted honey
- dłubać — to tinker, to pick (nose or teeth), to hollow
- dwójniak — mead made with equal amounts of water and honey
- dyfuzor — diffuser
- gałgan -- ragamuffin, scoundrel --Strabismus (talk) 08:58, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- Please conjugate glądać
- hartować -- to temper, toughen (also fig.) --Strabismus (talk) 09:00, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- huculski -- related to the Hutsuls, an ethnic group from the Ukraine, or an equivalent of "Hucul" in the name Hucul pony --Tweenk (talk) 17:21, 15 October 2014 (UTC)
- kąpać się -- to bathe --Kaminix (talk) 18:03, 8 December 2015 (UTC)
- klapki - flip-flops? BigDom 07:02, 25 March 2016 (UTC)
- This is a tough one. Klepacz is a surname. Supposedly, klepacz can mean "counterfeit coin" (archaic) or "hammer" (rare). However, most actual usage on the internet uses this purely as a constructed word. klepać means "1. to slap gently, to pat; 2. to smooth out a piece of metal with a hammer; 3. by extension, to fix bodywork damage on a car", with sense 3 most often used in the perfective form wyklepać. It also occurs in the idiom klepać biedę. Thus, klepacz is a constructed colloquial word for "someone who pats", "someone who smooths out metal with a hammer", or "someone who fixes bodywork". --Tweenk (talk) 02:27, 29 June 2015 (UTC)
- Also seems to be used for programmers who are unskilled or work on unimaginative, boring projects. --Tweenk (talk) 01:39, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
- konsumencki - BigDom 19:47, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
- konwerter szerokokątny -- wide-angle converter
Korcz — a surname
- koza w nosie -- literally "goat in the nose", means booger (see here)
książnica - library Kurd -- male of kurdish etnicity. Kurd. (at time of writing, page exist due to English entry) --Kaminix (talk) 22:59, 7 December 2015 (UTC) Kurdyjka -- female of kurdish etnicity. Kurd. --Kaminix (talk) 22:59, 7 December 2015 (UTC) Kurdystan -- Kurdistan, the country. --Kaminix (talk) 22:59, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
- Please conjugate koncertować
- lecznica -- clinic
- macacz -- groper (a person who gropes people in public places), a humorous contraction of obmacywacz
macać -- to touch, feel; to grope
- macadło -- humorous nonce word meaning "groping device"
- mazurzenie -- a dialectal alteration
- miłka -- lovegrass (plant)
- muszla oczna -- eyecup (for camera) --Strabismus (talk) 09:31, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
Please conjugate mieć racje
- nadrzeć — to wear and tear --Strabismus (talk) 09:36, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- namłócić — perfective form of młócić "to thresh; to separate wheat from chaff"; can also be used figuratively --Tweenk (talk) 17:08, 15 October 2014 (UTC)
- nartach — skiing?
- niepokojący — worrying, alarming, disturbing, anxious, bothering, distressing, uncanny, uneasy, unsettling, disquieting, worrisome, unreassuring. —Stephen (Talk) 16:37, 16 October 2017 (UTC)
- opłakuje — 3rd person singular present tense of opłakiwać "to mourn somebody", imperfective --Tweenk (talk) 17:11, 15 October 2014 (UTC)
- oprawić — perfective: 1. to bind (a book), to frame (a picture); 2. to skin, to clean (a dead animal), to remove skin and entrails --Tweenk (talk) 09:49, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
- odnosić — see pl:odnosić PseudoSkull (talk) 21:49, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
- polsko-angielski — Please add declension
- pejsy — sidelocks --Strabismus (talk) 09:41, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- pępek świata — may need separate definitions for people and for places. — Keφr 18:31, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- pierścień pośredni — extension tube
plaga (needs Polish)
- poczmistrz — postmaster?
- pogooglaj — imperative of "to google"
- pojebany — fucked-up
- pomerdany - There's one translation of a book by W. Bruce Cameron (Był sobie pies ⇒ A Dog's Purpose) whose subtitle is Ten świat jest naprawdę pomerdany. --188.8.131.52 17:50, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
powidło — see Russian пови́дло (povídlo). --Anatoli T. (обсудить/вклад) 23:31, 29 March 2015 (UTC)
- powinienem był — originally a pluperfect form of a verb (not sure what it was -- "powinić"?), now a fixed phrase, meaning "I should"; still inflects for person, number and gender though.
- przybywać — to arrive. --Kaminix (talk) 17:54, 8 December 2015 (UTC)
- przemyski — related to Przemyśl, a town in southeast Poland near the Ukrainian border
- poprosić — please add conjugation of this verb
- przymierzyć — please add conjugation of this verb
- połączony — please add conjugation
- proprosić — please provide the conjugation
- ponuro please provide declension?
Please provide conjugation of poprosić and połączony. Please provide declension for lawyer both male and female — prawniczka. Please provide conjugation of pojechać pleae provide conjugation for poszukać Please provide conjugation of przeczytać Please conjugate przywieźć Please provide conjugation for pokłocić Please provide a conjugation for pogodzić Please conjugate podobać Please conjugate przyglądać Please conjugate przesłuchiwac Please conjugate przywieźć Please conjugate postanowić Please conjugate poświęcać Please conjugate przedłużyć please conjugate poczuć Please conjugate polożyć Please conjugate przeziębić
- śmietana szczeciniecka — this is a specific brand of sour cream made by the company ZPT Elmilk from the town of Szczecinek, so I'm not sure it belongs in Wiktionary; the generic term is kwaśna śmietana --Tweenk (talk) 22:14, 4 October 2014 (UTC)
- spotykać się — to meet up
- starczą — ambiguous. Can be 3rd person plural future tense of starczyć "to suffice" (perfective), or feminine instrumental of starczy "geriatric; related to old age" --Tweenk (talk) 17:15, 15 October 2014 (UTC)
- kwaśna śmietana — sour cream
- stowa sąsiadko — On one of my polish friends facebook page someone wrote it on their birthday. — really curious about what it means. — So far i found out that Stowa means 100 and sąsiadko means neighbour but saying a 100 neighbour dosnt make sense...
- strzeliwo — ammunition
Please add the declination for schronisko
- Please add the Polish word stukać — in English it means "to tap".
- szeleszczące, szumiące, syczące — according to w:Polish phonology, these describe the three series of coronal sibilants: sz, ś, s
- skrzydlate słowa - "catchphrase", "popular phrase", "winged words", "meme"?
- świecić -please add the conjugation
- tandeta – “an almost untranslatable Polish word which [Bruno] Schulz uses regularly, a word that means variously 'trash', 'shoddy', 'cast-off'.” Ƿidsiþ 08:38, 4 March 2016 (UTC)
- uszatek -- from ucho, not a regular word. It is used as the proper name of a character in a children's cartoon (w:Miś Uszatek, literally "Teddy Flopy-ear" but could be translated as Floppy Bear). --Tweenk (talk) 17:00, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Please provide conjugation for ucieszyć
- Please provide conjugation for usłyszeć
- Please provide conjugation for ubrać
- Please conjugate upiec
- -wicz -- suffix for some Polish names
- wizjer -- peephole
army, military service?Translated as "military affairs". From Polish Wikipedia: all issues relating to military institutions, such as the structure, authorities, equipment, method of operation etc.
- wszechnica -- university
- wyciąga -- 3rd person singular present tense of wyciągać "to hoist; to pull out of" --Tweenk (talk) 17:18, 15 October 2014 (UTC)
- wygładzić -- to smooth --Strabismus (talk) 09:54, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- wygubić -- to uproot --Strabismus (talk) 09:54, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- wykarczować -- to grub --Strabismus (talk) 09:54, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- zagłębienie — hollow, pocket (not of trousers) --Strabismus (talk) 10:03, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- załącz - Found on an email website. I think it means to add an attachment. It is a header for a drop down with Mój komputer, załącz inline, kontakty, and poczta.
- zamulić — to slime --Strabismus (talk) 10:03, 8 October 2012 (UTC)
- z łaski swojej — tricky to translate. This phrase is an adverb, but it is used similarly to the English verb "to be so kind to (do sth)" — including sarcastically. (It's literally "by [somebody's] grace"; swój does not specify a person: it appears in Galatians 1:15 as "by his grace" (pl, en). "z łaski" can generally be thought of as a preposition meaning "by the grace of" or "through the favour of": Chapter 9 of The Prince has "z łaski ludu, lub z łaski panów": "through the favour of the people or of the nobles" (pl, en) -- Jimregan (talk) 17:54, 5 October 2014 (UTC))
- zajmować — conjugation please
- zainstalowano — installed (as in computer software is installed)
- zgadzać (or maybe it should be zgadzać się) — to agree with
- Ziutek? I think it's a nickname, possibly from Andrzej.
Please add the declension for zmartwiony Please add the conjugation for zapomnieć /perf./ — to forget Please add the conjugation for zagladać please conjugate zapukać Please conjugate zapytać Please conjugate zdawać Plese conjugate zamieszkać please conjugate zwolnić please conjugate zaglądać Please conjugate zająć Please conjugate zapisać Please conjugate zgodzić Please conjugate zmarnować Please conjugate zrezygnować Please conjugate zaokrąglić Please conjugate the verb zamieszkać