Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- simple past tense and past participle of
- First attested in the 1630's.
- Given official approval after meeting certain standards, as an accredited university; or as disease free cattle.
1907, Harold Bindloss, chapter 31, The Dust of Conflict:
- The task was more to Appleby's liking than the one he had anticipated, and it was necessary, since the smaller merchants in Cuba and also in parts of Peninsular Spain have no great confidence in bankers, and prefer a packet of golden onzas or a bag of pesetas to the best accredited cheque.
- The answer should give us the—But halloo! here are the accredited representatives of the law.
—Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four.
given official approval after meeting criteria