Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of or pertaining to aerostatics; pneumatic.
1828, “Mr. Genet's Remars on Dr. Jones' Animadversions”, in American Journal of Science, volume 13, page 377:
- I have very much improved my mechanical combinations, for the navigation of the air and water by hydrostatic and aerostatic forces.
2007, Ashish Tewari, Atmospheric and Space Flight Dynamics: Modeling and Simulation with MATLAB:
- Atmospheric flight is dominated by the presence of atmospheric forces, which can be divided into aerostatic and aerodynamic categories.
2008, Norberto Lopez de Lacalle, Machine Tools for High Performance Machining, page 384:
- Hydrostatic and aerostatic guides are widely applied to precision feed tables, since their motion is accurate due to the lack of friction and wearing.
- Pertaining to aerial navigation or aeronautics.
1828, James Smith, The Panorama of Science and Art:
- The general term for the machines used in this kind of navigation, is that of aërostats, or aërostatic machines; but those which are of a spherical figure, and filled with gas, are better known by the name of air-balloons.
pneumatic — see pneumatic