Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Marketing of items for older children and adults to young children.
2006 September 30, Michman, Ronald D.; Edward M. Mazze, The Affluent Consumer: Marketing And Selling the Luxury Lifestyle, Westport: Praeger, ISBN 9780275992828, OL 9644087M, page 63:
- The children, tweens, teens, and the college market represent enormous potential for marketers, and the trend of age compression will have great impact on such selected industries as toys, apparel, cosmetics, shoes, and jewelry.
2007, Radford, Jill, “The Politics of Pornography: A Feminist Perspective”, in Clare McGlynn, Erika Rackley, Nicole Westmarland, editor, Positions on the Politics of Porn: A debate on government plans to criminalise the possession of extreme pornography, Durham: Durham University, ISBN 9780903593274:
- A news item (Chittenden, 2007) reported that Tesco and WH Smith were forced by protest to remove a pole dancing kit (an eight foot long pole, thongs, frilly garters and DVD) from the Toys and Games section of their web site. Apparently this is an example of a marketing phenomenon called ‘kids getting older younger’ or ‘age compression’.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:age compression.
- KAGOY - Kids are getting older younger