Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
compression (plural compressions)
- an increase in density; the act of compressing, or the state of being compressed; compaction
- the cycle of an internal combustion engine during which the fuel and air mixture is compressed
- (computing) the process by which data is compressed
2011, Marcelo A. Montemurro & Damián H. Zanette, “Universal Entropy of Word Ordering Across Linguistic Families”, PLoS ONE, accessed on 2012-09-26:
- Due to the presence of long-range correlations in language ,  it is not possible to compute accurate measures of the entropy by estimating block probabilities directly. More efficient nonparametric methods that work even in the presence of long-range correlations are based on the property that the entropy of a sequence is a lower bound to any lossless compressed version of it . Thus, in principle, it is possible to estimate the entropy of a sequence by finding its length after being compressed by an optimal algorithm. In our analysis, we used an efficient entropy estimator derived from the Lempel-Ziv compression algorithm that converges to the entropy , , , and shows a robust performance when applied to correlated sequences  (see Materials and Methods).
- (music) the electronic process by which any sound's gain is automatically controlled
- (astronomy) the deviation of a heavenly body from a spherical form
the act of compressing
the cycle of an internal combustion engine during which the fuel and air mixture is compressed
(computing) the process by which data is compressed
(music) the electronic process by which any sound's gain is automatically controlled
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked