Jump to navigation Jump to search
- comparative form of : more apt
- c. 1596–1599, William Shakespeare, “The Second Part of Henry the Fourth, […]”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies […] (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act I, scene i]:
- Thou tremblest; and the whiteness in thy cheek
Is apter than thy tongue to tell thy errand.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling:
- [I]t hath been many an honest man's hap to pass for the father of children he never begot; and if your worship should provide for the child, it may make the people the apter to believe […]
- 1844 — Nathaniel Hawthorne, Rappaccini's Daughter
- Would you deign to be my instructress, I should prove an apter scholar than if taught by Signor Rappaccini himself.
- Peart, Petra, apert, parte, pater, peart, petar, petra, prate, preta, reapt, repat, retap, taper, trape, treap