- The study of the story of Noah's Ark, particularly the search for physical evidence which would corroborate it.
1988, edited by Alan Dundes, The Flood Myth, page 90:
- Sometimes archaeology becomes “arkeology” and the search for physical remains of Noah's actual ark is the principal focus of interest.
- 2000, Bob Rickard and John Michell, Unexplained Phenomena: Mysteries and Curiosities of Science, Folklore and Superstition, chapter 7, page 182:
- These things tend to happen in arkeology. … Nevertheless, the period between the end of World War II and 1974 was the great age of arkeology. … Such breakthroughs have now become regular events in arkeology, each new discovery upstaging the last.
- 2007, Donald R. Prothero, Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters, chapter 3 The Fossil Record, page 73:
- First, let us start with what the Bible says and delve into the world of arkeology. McGowan (1984, chapter 5) and Moore (1983) discuss the logistical details of the Noah's ark story at length, so I will not repeat their entire analysis here.