Jump to navigation Jump to search
aroid (plural aroids)
- (informal) Any plant of the family Araceae, found chiefly in the tropics.
- 1920, Sir Harry Johnston, Mrs. Warren's Daughter:
- They made their way slowly to the great Palm House and thence up twisty iron steps to a nook like a tree refuge in New Guinea, among palm boles and extravagant aroid growths.
- 1997 March 7, Jerry Sullivan, “Field & Street”, in Chicago Reader:
- Jack-in-the-pulpit is the only other aroid native to our part of the world.
- 2000, Anton Ivancic, Vincent Lebot, The Genetics and Breeding of Taro, page 15,
- The majority of aroids are climbers and epiphytes of tropical rainforests.
- arum (plant of genus Arum)
- Aroideae (subfamily of Araceae)