- assagai; assagaie, assagay, assegaai, assegay, azagaia, hassagay, hassaguay, zagaie, zagaye (obsolete)
assegai (plural assegais)
- A slim hardwood spear or javelin with an iron tip, especially those used by Bantu peoples of Southern Africa.
- 1902, Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness, Tank Form 2007, p.99:
- Native mats covered the clay walls; a collection of spears, assegais, shields, knives was hung up in trophies.
- 1994, Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom, Abacus 2010, p. 32:
- Without a word, he took my foreskin, pulled it forward, and then, in a single motion, brought down his assegai.
- The tree species Curtisia dentata, the wood of which is traditionally used to make assegais.
slim hardwood spear or javelin with an iron tip
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- To spear with an assegai.