Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive, rare) To render atheistic.
1798 March, “Robinson's Proofs of a Conspiracy”, in The Monthly Review, page 307:
- In like manner, it ought not to be predicated of a French party—and of a party comprehending Despresmenil, Bailly, Maury, Mounier—that because one Robinet was suffered to read an impudent atheistical disquisition in a lodge aat Lyons, it is therefore plainly the main object of free-masonry to atheize the universe.
1878 October,, The Ohio Educational Monthly, volume 27, number 10, page 335:
- There is an element in every State, daily increasing in numerical strength, becoming more emphatic in its utterances, more pronounced in its attitude, whose avowed object is completely to secularize and atheize the state and the nation in all their work and in all their relations to state institutions and individual subjects.
1880 April, Payne, C. H., “Shall State Education be Exclusively Secular?”, in Methodist Quarterly Review, page 310:
- It ought to be added, also, that the theory of providing exclusively secular education by the State exerts a most unfavorable influence upon our youth, tending to demoralize and atheize them.
- (intransitive, rare) To become atheistic.