Jump to navigation Jump to search
- In an august or awe-inspiring manner.
- 1792, Mary Wollstonecraft, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman:
- For surely, sir, you will not assert, that a duty can be binding which is not founded on reason? If, indeed, this be their destination, arguments may be drawn from reason; and thus augustly supported, the more understanding women acquire, the more they will be attached to their duty, comprehending it […]
- 1880, Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad, Chapter 49,
- St. Mark’s is perfect. To me it soon grew to be so nobly, so augustly ugly, that it was difficult to stay away from it, even for a little while.
- 1950, Mervyn Peake, Gormenghast, London: Eyre & Spottiswoode, Chapter 18,
- Deliberately, almost ‘augustly,’ the gowned and mortar-boarded figures followed one another through the great red turnstile and filed into the chamber beyond.
- In a royal or regal manner.
- 1925, Graham Martyr, Dai Nihon, page 189:
- On His Majesty's arrival, the wine was respectfully presented to him, when the Sovereign sang augustly, saying: ...
- 1941, Alfred Kreymborg, Poetic Drama:
- But wait until the Honorable Ma Chun-shing arrives and you shall see that I am augustly disposed to consent to your marriage.
- 2000, James Hoyt, Soaring Phoenixes and Prancing Dragons:
- He augustly began. Our First Ancestor At Kyǒnghŭng resided, And his royal work He augustly began.
- 2010, W. Watson, The Poems Of William Watson, →ISBN, page 63:
- We have reigned Augustly; let our part be so sustained That Time, far hence, shall hold our memory dear !
- 2014, Kurt Singer, The Life of Ancient Japan, →ISBN:
- The Heavenly Sovereign made a progress to the abode of I-suke-yori-hime, and augustly slept (there) one night.