- The quality or state of being awake
- 1922, Angela Brazil, The Jolliest School of All:
- "I sat up in bed with that feeling of broad awakeness and alertness which comes to us sometimes, and caught my breath as I listened, for through the stillness of the night came the unmistakable sound of a gentle tapping from behind the paneling of the wall.
- 1991 March 22, John Brizzolara, “Equal Temperament”, in Chicago Reader:
- The kind of awakeness that allows you to be appropriate to whatever moment you're in.
- 1999 April 9, Robert F. Service, “Chemists Mix It Up in California”, in Science, volume 284, number 5412, DOI:10.1126/science.284.5412.243, pages 243-244:
- By that measure, Nehlig's team found, the brain activity of animals given caffeine rose in brain regions involved in locomotion, mood, and awakeness.