Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
backsword (plural backswords)
- A sword with one sharp edge.
1884, Robert F. Burton, The Book of the Sword, page 140:
- It is a thick, heavy backsword, eighteen inches long, with a bevel where the point should be, worn at the waist in a half-scabbard of wood, and used for digging as well as killing.
- (Britain, dated) A stick with a basket handle, used in rustic amusements.
- (Britain, dated) The game in which the stick is used.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Halliwell to this entry?)
- (stick with basket handle): singlestick
a sword with one sharp edge