Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
ballad (plural ballads)
- A kind of narrative poem, adapted for recitation or singing; especially, a sentimental or romantic poem in short stanzas.
- The poet composed a ballad praising the heroic exploits of the fallen commander.
- A slow romantic song.
- On Friday nights, the roller rink had a time-block called "Lovers' Lap" when they played nothing but ballads on the overhead speakers.
- 1885, Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado
- A wandering minstrel I —
- A thing of shreds and patches,
- Of ballads, songs and snatches,
slow romantic song