Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To entrust; endow.
2005, Philip R. Sullivan, The World According To Homo Sapiens:
- I suspect, for instance, that Bill Gates might not have wanted to begift such a program with the Microsoft name.
- (transitive) To give a gift or gifts to; bestow or present with gifts.
1838, Thomas Carlyle, The French revolution: a history:
- They are harangued, bedinnered, begifted,[...]
1905, William Thomas Stead, The Review of reviews:
- Mr. EH Cooper protests against the extravagant manner in which the children of the well-to-do are "amused" and begifted at Christmas: [...]
- 1974, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists:
- If you are an occasional reader and would like to receive the magazine regularly — or if you are a subscriber and would like to begift a friend, colleague or relative — use the form below.
- (transitive) To give as a gift.