behind the eight-ball
Thought to derive from the game of kelly pool, in which players assigned balls numerically higher than 8 — that is, balls that are behind the 8 ball in order — have little possibility of winning, or from eight-ball pool, where one cannot contact the eight ball on a shot before it is the legal ball, frustrating shots, or more generally, from the fact that the 8 ball is considered harder to aim out because of its color.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) In a difficult situation or tight spot; at a disadvantage.
- After his last two projects failed, he was really behind the eight-ball.
- He was desperate, playing behind the eight-ball.
- When modifying a noun, used in predicate position.
- (in a difficult situation): snookered