Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Australia, uncountable, slang) An Australian aboriginal woman viewed by a white man as a sexual partner.
1989, John Joseph Healy, Literature and the Aborigine in Australia, page 162:
- But the Krater who introduces Mark to black velvet is totally human and, in his gestures, culpable.
2002, John Maynard, Aboriginal Stars of the Turf: Jockeys of Australian Racing History, page 105:
- Writer, Xavier Herbert, said that white men would refuse to work on remote stations without available Aboriginal women or ‘black velvet’.
- (Australia, uncountable, slang) Sexual intercourse with an Australian aboriginal woman.
2009, Jill Roe, Her Brilliant Career: The Life of Stella Miles Franklin, page 494:
- Black velvet — that is, the sexual abuse of Aboriginal women — had become highly topical with the publication of Coonardoo and Capricornia, and Miles′ choices in this area still seem reasonable.
- (Britain, Ireland, countable) A cocktail of stout and champagne.