Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (bending at the waist): IPA(key): /ˈbaʊɪŋ/
Audio (US) /ˈbaʊɪŋ/ (file)
- (becoming bent; playing a string instrument):
- Hyphenation: bow‧ing
- The act of bending at the waist, as a sign of respect or greeting.
- The courtier had practiced his bowing.
- A bending.
- The heavy books caused a bowing in the shelf.
- A technique for using the bow on a string instrument such as a violin.
- 1959, Anthony Burgess, Beds in the East (The Malayan Trilogy), published 1972, page 461:
- The bowing arm, the fingers on the strings, and then the violin itself polished brown, and the soloist's chin pillowed on it.
the act of bending as a sign of respect