Jump to navigation Jump to search
violin (plural violins)
- (music) A musical four-string instrument, generally played with a bow or by plucking the string, with the pitch set by pressing the strings at the appropriate place with the fingers; also any instrument of the violin family.
- 1960, P[elham] G[renville] Wodehouse, chapter XX, in Jeeves in the Offing, London: Herbert Jenkins, OCLC 1227855, page She was looking more like Sherlock Holmes than ever. Slap a dressing-gown on her and give her a violin, and she could have walked straight into Baker Street and no questions asked.:
- (music) A violinist.
- The first violin often plays the lead melody lines in a string quartet.
- third-person plural present subjunctive form of violar
- third-person plural imperative form of violar
Declension of violin