Audio (US) (file)
transitive (not comparable)
- Making a transit or passage.
- Affected by transference of signification.
- (grammar, of a verb) Taking an object or objects.
- Antonyms: intransitive
The English verb "to notice" is a transitive verb, because we say things like "She noticed a problem".
- (set theory, of a relation on a set) Having the property that if an element x is related to y and y is related to z, then x is necessarily related to z.
- (algebra, of a group action) Such that, for any two elements of the acted-upon set, some group element maps the first to the second.
- (graph theory, of a graph) Such that, for any two vertices there exists a an automorphism which maps one to the other.
Terms derived from transitive
making a transit or passage
affected by transference of signification
grammar, of a verb: taking an object or objects
set theory, of a relation on a set
of a graph
- inflected form of
transitive f pl
- Feminine plural of adjective transitivo.