Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The highest point of something.
- (anatomy) The highest surface on the skull.
- (geometry) The common point of the two rays of the angle, or its equivalent structure in polyhedra (meeting of edges) and higher order polytopes.
- (mathematics) A point on the curve with a local minimum or maximum of curvature.
- (graph theory) One of the elements of a graph joined or not by edges to other vertices.
- (computer graphics) A point in 3D space, usually given in terms of its Cartesian coordinates.
- (optics) The point where the surface of a lens crosses the optical axis.
- (nuclear or particle physics) An interaction point.
- (astrology) The point where the prime vertical meets the ecliptic in the western hemisphere of a natal chart.
anatomy: highest surface on skull
geometry: corner of a polygon or polyhedron
graph theory: element joined by edges to other vertices
computer graphics: point in 3D space
optics: point where the surface of an optical element crosses the optical axis
physics: interaction point
- “vertex” in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879.