Middle English, alteration of uttermest
uttermost (not comparable)
- Extreme; utmost; being in the farthest, greatest, or highest degree.
- (Can we date this quote?) Psalms 65:8
- They also that dwell in the uttermost parts are afraid at thy tokens: thou makest the outgoings of the morning and evening to rejoice.
uttermost (usually uncountable, plural uttermosts)
- The utmost; the highest or greatest degree; the farthest extent
- 1943, John Temple Graves, The Fighting South (page 274)
- The free way will call for uttermosts in civilization, self-discipline and human excellence.