Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: hémisphère
- hemisphære (archaic)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɛmɪsfɪə/
- (US) enPR: hĕ'mĭsfîr, IPA(key): /ˈhɛmɪsfɪər/
Audio (US) (file)
hemisphere (plural hemispheres)
- (astronomy, astrology) Half of the celestial sphere, as divided by either the ecliptic or the celestial equator [from 14th c.].
- (figuratively) A realm or domain of activity .
- (geography) Half of the Earth, such as the Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, Western Hemisphere or Eastern Hemisphere, Land Hemisphere, Water Hemisphere etc. [1550s].
- (geometry) Any half-sphere, formed by a plane intersecting the center of a sphere. [1580s].
- (cartography) A map or projection of a celestial or terrestrial hemisphere .
- (anatomy) Either of the two halves of the cerebrum. .
- (astronomy: half of the celestial sphere): celestial hemisphere
- (geography: half of the terrestrial sphere): terrestrial hemisphere
- (figuratively: a domain of thought or action): sphere
- (geometry: half of a sphere): half-sphere, half sphere
- (anatomy: either of the two lobes of the cerebellum): cerebral hemisphere
- (cartography: a map showing a projection of a hemisphere): planisphere
realm or domain of activity
half of the Earth
cartography: map or projection of a celestial or terrestrial hemisphere
lobe of cerebrum — see cerebral hemisphere
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.