Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: NODE
- Rhymes: -əʊd
node (plural nodes)
- A knot, knob, protuberance or swelling.
- (astronomy) The point where the orbit of a planet, as viewed from the Sun, intersects the ecliptic. The ascending and descending nodes refer respectively to the points where the planet moves from South to North and N to S; their respective symbols are ☊ and ☋.
- (botany) A stem node.
- (computer networking) A computer or other device attached to a network.
- (engineering) The point at which the lines of a funicular machine meet from different angular directions; — called also knot.
- (geometry) The point at which a curve crosses itself, being a double point of the curve. See crunode, and acnode.
- (graph theory) A vertex or a leaf in a graph of a network, or other element in a data structure.
- (medicine) A hard concretion or incrustation which forms upon bones attacked with rheumatism, gout, or syphilis; sometimes also, a swelling in the neighborhood of a joint.
- (physics) A point along a standing wave where the wave has minimal amplitude.
- (rare) The knot, intrigue, or plot of a dramatic work.
- (technical) A hole in the gnomon of a sundial, through which passes the ray of light which marks the hour of the day, the parallels of the Sun's declination, his place in the ecliptic, etc.
- (linguistics) The word of interest in a KWIC, surrounded by left and right cotexts.
astronomy: where the orbit of a planet intersects the ecliptic
joint of a plant stem
computer attached to a network
geometry: point at which a curve crosses itself
vertex of a graph of a network
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (music) note
- Romaji transcription of