Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Lump
lump (plural lumps)
- Something that protrudes, sticks out, or sticks together; a cluster or blob; a mound, hill, or group.
- Stir the gravy until there are no more lumps.
- a lump of coal; a lump of clay; a lump of cheese
- A group, set, or unit.
- The money arrived all at once as one big lump sum payment.
- A small, shaped mass of sugar, typically about a teaspoonful.
- Do you want one lump or two with your coffee?
- A dull or lazy person.
- Don't just sit there like a lump.
- (informal, as plural) A beating or verbal abuse.
- He's taken his lumps over the years.
1994, Robert J. McMahon, The cold war on the periphery: the United States, India, and Pakistan, page 323:
- Komer admitted that the United States would probably suffer "short term lumps" as a result of Johnson's brusque decision.
- A projection beneath the breech end of a gun barrel.
something that protrudes, sticks out, or sticks together; a cluster or blob; a mound, hill, or group
group, set, or unit
A small, shaped mass of sugar
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- lump in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- lump in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- To treat as a single unit; to group together.
- People tend to lump turtles and tortoises together, when in fact they are different creatures.
2015 February 24, Daniel Taylor, “Luis Suárez strikes twice as Barcelona teach Manchester City a lesson”, in The Guardian (London):
- Pellegrini’s decision to operate with both Edin Dzeko and Agüero in attack certainly looks misjudged bearing in mind that the first way to stop Barcelona is usually to try to crowd midfield and restrict space. Yet it would be wrong to lump all the blame on the manager’s tactics.
- See also darebák
- lump in Příruční slovník jazyka českého, 1935–1957
- lump in Slovník spisovného jazyka českého, 1960–1971, 1989
lump m pers