Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Alternative form of
- secondhand and second-hand may be preferred spellings for the adjective meaning "not new", to avoid confusion with the noun "second hand" referring to the hand of a clock or watch.
secondhand — see secondhand
- An intermediate person or means; intermediary.
- 1832, James Sheridan Knowles, The Magdalen, and other tales, page 3:
- Under certain circumstances there is always a danger in a young man's playing the benefactor towards the other sex, in his own person. A thousand times better do it by a second hand — engage the services of some kind aunt or female cousin.
the hand or pointer that shows the number of seconds that have passed
- second hand at OneLook Dictionary Search