Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 Dutch
- 4 Latin
- 5 Turkish
lens (plural lenses or (obsolete) lens)
- An object, usually made of glass, that focuses or defocuses the light that passes through it.
- A device which focuses or defocuses electron beams.
- (geometry) A convex shape bounded by two circular arcs, joined at their endpoints, the corresponding concave shape being a lune.
- (biology) A genus of the legume family; its bean.
- (anatomy) The transparent crystalline structure in the eye.
2013 July-August, Fenella Saunders, “Tiny Lenses See the Big Picture”, in American Scientist:
- The single-imaging optic of the mammalian eye offers some distinct visual advantages. Such lenses can take in photons from a wide range of angles, increasing light sensitivity. They also have high spatial resolution, resolving incoming images in minute detail.
- (earth science) A body of rock, ice, or water shaped like a convex lens.
- (by extension, figuratively) A way of looking, literally or figuratively, at something.
2004 April 11, Ann Hulbert, “Are the Kids All Right?”, in The New York Times Magazine, page 11:
- If "the public looks at the condition of America's children largely through a negative lens," worries Child Trends […] , "it may be more difficult to […] promote child well-being."
Terms derived from lens (noun)
object focusing or defocusing the light passing through it
device which focuses or defocuses electron beams
geometry: convex shape bounded by two circular arcs
biology: genus of the legume family; its bean
anatomy: transparent crystalline structure in the eye
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Rhymes: -ɛns
- Alternative form of
|Inflection of lens|
- A lentil bean.
- lens in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- lens in Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, New York: Harper & Brothers
- Félix Gaffiot (1934), Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Paris: Hachette, s.v. “lens”.
declension of lens