- (slang) A fictitious religious affiliation, invoked by a person who does not claim or admit affiliation with a particular church.
- I asked Jim what religion he was, and he replied "bush baptist".
- (slang) A person not educated in any particular religion; a religious zealot or proselytiser not educated in religion.
1975, Cicely Louise Evans, The Saint Game, page 80:
- Annesley knew this meant that she was not to tell tales, but about what? Did Uncle Walker want his Bush Baptist religion kept a secret?
- 1999, American Association for State and Local History, History News, Volumes 54-56, page 69,
- The Creole slave revolts in Dominica in 1823, involved bush Baptists and slave catechists who attacked plantations and which led to 250 deaths; […]
2009, Sheryl McCorry, Diamonds and Dust, page 120:
- He had always been there in my time of need and yet he knew I was a bush Baptist.