Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Containing, consisting of, or producing harsh, unpleasant or discordant sounds.
- 1993, Mike Leigh, Naked, spoken by Brian (Peter Wight):
- The good thing about this job is that it gives me time and space to contemplate the future at my leisure, whilst the city sleeps, free from the cacophonous curiosity of the hoi polloi.
- 2006, Everett True, Nirvana: The Biography, Da Capo Press (2007), →ISBN, page 58:
- The first time I saw the NYC quartet [Sonic Youth] was in 1983 for their Confusion Is Sex album, when they filled The Venue in Victoria, London with a cacophonous maelstrom of mangled sounds that still reverberates, more than two decades on.
- 2011, Fern Michaels, To Taste the Wine, Kensington Books (2011), →ISBN, page 153:
- […] and the cacophonous clatter of pots and pans accompanied the vociferous complaints of the ship's cook.
- 2012, Michael D. Breed & Janice Moore, Animal Behavior, Academic Press (2012), →ISBN, page 199 (image caption):
- A colony of pelicans can be cacophonous.
containing or consisting of unpleasant sounds