Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Characteristic of a cellar; musty, gloomy, etc.
- 1864, New York State Agricultural Society, Proceedings of the annual meeting: Volume 23, page 449:
- Cellars, where the direct rays of the sun cannot enter, are often used as milk rooms, but there is always a cellary odor in them which impairs the flavor of the butter.
- 1880, Marion Harland, Loiterings in pleasant paths:
- There is a cellary smell in all these old stone churches where slumber the mighty dead, suggestive of must, mould, and cockroaches, and on the hottest day a chill, like that of an ice-house.