Jump to navigation Jump to search
- emphasizes that what comes before this particle is very likely, and what comes after it is very not; if what comes after is an interrogative word or phrase, implies that you highly doubt there is any alternative to what comes before
- Nó thà chết chứ không khai.
- He'd rather die than admit it, I'm telling you.
- Chứ mày nghĩ tao lên trường làm gì ?
- Wait, what'd you think I went to the school for?
- Chứ theo ông thì tôi phải làm thế nào ?
- What do you think I should've done then?
- Chứ sao !
- Of course! What else could it be then?
- Thằng Tú vứt chứ ai vào đây ! Nó suốt ngày chê cái ghế làm xấu mặt tiền nhà mình.
- Of course Tú threw it away, who else then? He always complained how that chair was an eyesore in front of our house.
- at the end of a question, hints that you think what you have said before this particle is true, although you still want to confirm it
- Ông già mày còn sống đấy chứ ?
- Your old man's still alive, yes?
- at the end of a statement, affirms what comes before this particle and hints that you think your conversation partner was too clueless about it
- Có thế chứ ! Đàn ông đàn ang phải biết làm việc nặng.
- That's what I'm talkin' about! You're a man, you're supposed to be able to handle heavy jobs like this.
- Khẽ chứ ! Cu Tí đang ngủ !
- Quiet! Baby Tí's sleeping!
- Người ta cũng biết tiếng Anh chứ bộ !
- In case you didn't know, I do speak some English!