Jump to navigation Jump to search
choanoflagellate (plural choanoflagellates)
- (biology) Any of a group of flagellate protozoa, of the class Choanoflagellatea, thought to be the closest unicellular ancestors of animals.
- 2012, Caspar Henderson, The Book of Barely Imagined Beings, 2013 edition, Granta Books, page 30:
- Choanoflagellates are plankton: tiny protozoans that feed on even tinier bacteria.
- 2017, Douglas Fox, ‘Aliens in our midst’, Aeon, 1 August:
- Detailed studies showed that the sponge and the cells of a protist called a choanoflagellate used a different set of genes and proteins to build similar-looking structures.
any of a group of flagellate protozoa