Jump to navigation Jump to search
clerkling (plural clerklings)
- a clerk, emphasizing his insignificance or young age
- 1912, Jose Rizal, The Reign of Greed:
- Every Spaniard that spoke to him, whether clerkling or underling, was presented as a leading merchant, a marquis, or a count, while on the other hand any one who passed him by was a greenhorn, a petty official, a nobody!
- 1917, Sinclair Lewis, The Job:
- Una stood with a hulking man pressing as close to her side as he dared, and a dapper clerkling squeezed against her breast.