Jump to navigation Jump to search
coarseness (usually uncountable, plural coarsenesses)
- The property of being coarse, roughness or primitiveness, unrefined or unpolished.
- The quality or state of being coarse
- coarseness of food, texture, manners, or language
- 1918, W[illiam] B[abington] Maxwell, chapter XII, in The Mirror and the Lamp, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, →OCLC:
- All this was extraordinarily distasteful to Churchill. It was ugly, gross. Never before had he felt such repulsion when the vicar displayed his characteristic bluntness or coarseness of speech. In the present connexion […] such talk had been distressingly out of place.
quality of being coarse