Jump to navigation Jump to search
cockchafer (plural cockchafers)
- Any of the large European beetles from the genus Melolontha that are destructive to vegetation.
- 1927, Havelock Ellis, Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 2 (of 6):
- With regard to the playing of the female part by the weaker rats it is interesting to observe that Féré found among insects that the passive part in homosexual relations is favored by fatigue; among cockchafers it was the male just separated from the female who would take the passive part (on the rare occasions when homosexual relations occurred) with a fresh male.
- common cockchafer, Melolontha melolontha
- forest cockchafer, Melolontha hippocastani
- large cockchafer, Melolontha pectoralis
beetle of genus Melolontha