coxcomb (plural coxcombs)
- (obsolete) The cap of a court jester, adorned with a red stripe.
- A foolish or conceited person; a dandy.
1749, Henry Fielding, chapter XIII, in The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, London: A[ndrew] Millar, OCLC 928184292, book VII:
- […] for though I am afraid the doctor was a little of a coxcomb, he might be nevertheless very much of a surgeon.
- 2010, Pseudonymous Bosch, This Isn't What It Looks Like
- And she nearly started a fight between two young fops in plumed hats and flouncy collars: "Clay-brained coxcomb!" "Mewling milk-livered maggot!"
- The fleshy red pate of a rooster.
foolish or conceited person
pate of a rooster
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:coxcomb.