Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Norwegian Bokmål
- 3 Norwegian Nynorsk
- (UK) IPA(key): /st(ʃ)ɹaɪp/
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /st(ʃ)ɹʌɪp/
- Rhymes: -aɪp
stripe (plural stripes)
- A long, straight region of a single colour.
- (in the plural) The badge worn by certain officers in the military or other forces.
- (informal) Distinguishing characteristic; sign; likeness; sort.
- persons of the same political stripe
- A long narrow mark left by striking with a lash or rod; by extension, such a stroke.
- (weaving) A pattern produced by arranging the warp threads in sets of alternating colours, or in sets presenting some other contrast of appearance.
Terms derived from stripe (noun)
long straight region of a colour
- (transitive) To mark with stripes.
- (transitive, computing) To distribute data across several separate physical disks to reduce the time to read and write.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- stripe in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- stripe in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- stripe at OneLook Dictionary Search
- “stripe” in The Bokmål Dictionary.
- “stripe” in The Nynorsk Dictionary.