Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑːst
- (countable) A difference in lightness, brightness and/or hue between two colours that makes them more or less distinguishable.
- (countable) A difference between two objects, people or concepts.
- Israel is a country of many contrasts.
- (countable, uncountable, rhetoric) Antithesis.
difference that makes colours more or less distinguishable
degree of this difference
difference between two objects, people or concepts
control on a television, etc
- (transitive) To set in opposition in order to show the difference or differences between.
- (intransitive) To form a contrast.
- Foreground and background strongly contrast.
- The joints which divide the sandstone contrast finely with the divisional planes which separate the basalt into pillars.
set in opposition in order to show the difference or differences between