Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑːst
- (countable) A difference in lightness, brightness and/or hue between two colours that makes them more or less distinguishable.
- (countable) A difference between two objects, people or concepts.
- Israel is a country of many contrasts.
- (countable, uncountable, rhetoric) Antithesis.
difference that makes colours more or less distinguishable
degree of this difference
difference between two objects, people or concepts
control on a television, etc
- (transitive) To set in opposition in order to show the difference or differences between.
- (intransitive) To form a contrast.
- Foreground and background strongly contrast.
- 1845, Charles Lyell, Lyell's Travels in North America
- The joints which divide the sandstone contrast finely with the divisional planes which separate the basalt into pillars.
to set in opposition in order to show the difference or differences between
to form a contrast