Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (UK) (file)
- (Britain, slang, derogatory) A foolish or obnoxious person.
- 2007 October 4, gypsy turnips, “Home » Question of the Week » Insults”, in b3ta.com, archived from the original on 10 October 07:
- Cockwomble An American lad was annoying the tits off me once so I called him the first thing that came to mind, which was 'cockwomble'. The insult was effective because he did stop winding me up but only to ask me what a cockwomble actually was. I then had to give a detailed explanation about what wombles were and admit that I hadn't really thought that insult through.
- 2015, Chris Brookmyre, Dead Girl Walking:
- They even made the mistaken assumption, mainly from the title, that the song had some kind of lesbian message. As Heike put it: 'You can't expect the subliterate cockwombles on the Daily Heil showbiz and gossip desks to have read Orwell.'
- 2019, Jennifer S. Chesler, David C. McLean, The Philosophy of Extremism, volume III, page 40:
- Though the clinic alleges that they are devoted to "service to the community", this little cockwomble allowed his bruised arrogance to bother a woman infinitely superior to him just because she was smarter and better than he.