come to grips
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive, of two opponents) To confront each other decisively.
- The armies finally came to grips at Stalingrad.
- (intransitive) To attempt to face or resolve an internal contradiction or difficulty.
- It was not until five years after graduation that she finally came to grips and began a career.
- The country is coming to grips and accepting its responsibilities.
- (intransitive, with "with" or anaphorically) See come to grips with.
- (to confront directly): get to grips (UK)