come to hand
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To become available, often unexpectedly, or randomly.
- She fought off the intruder with whatever came to hand.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page vii
- Secondly, I continue to base my concepts on intensive study of a limited suite of collections, rather than superficial study of every packet that comes to hand.
- (US, horses) To perform well, to come under control.
- The horse came to hand, and won first prize.