Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (obsolete) To have the same value as.
- To counteract, counterbalance or neutralize.
- To compensate for.
- Upon balancing the account, the profit at last will hardly countervail the inconveniences that go along with it.
- 1988, Richard Ellmann, The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry, 2nd ed. (New York: W.W. Norton, 1988), p. 539.
- If [Wilfred] Owen preserves his youthful romanticism, or at least a shell of it, he uses it to countervail the horrifying scenes he describes, just as he poses his own youth against the age-old spectacle of men dying in pain and futility.
to counteract, counterbalance or neutralize
to compensate for