cowfish (plural cowfishes or cowfish)
- Any of genera Acanthostracion and Lactoria, of the boxfish family Ostraciidae.
- The grampus, Grampus griseus, Risso's dolphin.
- A common bottlenose dolphin of California, Tursiops truncatus gillii.
- A marine plectognath fish, Acanthostracion quadricornis and allied species, having two projections, like horns, in front.
- (Acanthostracion quadricornis): cuckold, coffer fish, scrawled cowfish, trunkfish, Ostracion quadricornis, Ostracion tricornis
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for cowfish in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)