Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
crackleberry (plural crackleberries)
- (US, dialectal) The high-bush huckleberry, Gaylussacia baccata, native to eastern North America, or the fruit of this shrub
1945, John Moore, Indian Paul:
- All the crackleberries had spilled out on the floor.
- (fantasy) An imaginary shrub, or the fruit of this shrub
1997, Jack Vance, The Demon Princes: The Face, page 86:
- Four tall pointane trees, each a perfect teardrop, stood surrounded by a low hedge of russet crackleberry.
2005, Charles Coleman Finlay, The Prodigal Troll, page 25:
- Either the sorcerer's magic, or the filthy moat, or the crackleberries — or all three — had turned his guts to slush and wrung out his bowels.